To Food with Love need is patience, gentle hands and a large stone countertop to stretch the dough on.
Börek or Burek
(makes one 10-inch Burek)
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
150ml water (approx.)
3/4 cup vegetable/canola oil
1/2 cup feta
1 cup cooked and chopped spinach, drained
1/2 egg, beaten
1. Place the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Attach the dough hook, start the mixer and gradually add the water and until the dough comes together. Let it knead for about 7 minutes until the dough is soft and elastic. Divide into five and flatten slightly into a disc. Take a bowl/saucepan big enough to hold all five pieces of dough. Pour a little vegetable oil into the bowl, place one piece of dough into it, pour a little more oil over the it and repeat until all five are in the bowl. Pour enough vegetable oil over the top to virtually cover the stack of dough. Set aside for half an hour while you make the filling.
2. Place cheese and spinach into a bowl and stir through the egg.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
3. Grease your marble/stone workbench with a thin layer of vegetable oil all. Take one disc of pastry from the oil, scrape off the oil, then place it onto your oiled work bench. Flatten the disc from the inside to outside, then place your fingers under the edge, gently lift, pull and stretch the dough outwards until it’s thin, about 2 feet diameter. Fold in the edges (like an envelope) to form a pentagon (or circle) about 10 inch in diameter. Set aside.
4. Start with another disc of pastry from the pot of oil. Stretch it again to form a thin round sheet. Place the first layer (from step 3) in the middle. Sprinkle the cheese filling in the middle, sprinkle some oil over the pastry, and fold in the edges again. Repeat until you have 5 layers of pastry enclosing each one.
At this stage, it’s probably easier to refer to this video to get a better idea how it’s made: Click on the link here Balkan Burek Party.
5. Place the prepared pastry on a baking pan and pour some of the oil over the top of the burek. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain off excess oil, or blot with a paper towel. Slice or cut into wedges and serve hot.